The following training sessions are scheduled in the Bloomington Office for this school year. Members from Regions 14 & 62 are welcome and invited to attend. As each training nears, an invitation will be sent with more details and with RSVP information. This schedule is subject to change.
September 15, 2011 | 4:30-6:30 @ the IEA Office: Enforcing the Contract & Representing Members
- The focus will be on knowing and understanding the local collective bargaining agreement, with an emphasis on identifying and processing grievances and representing members when there is potential disciplinary action.
- Target Audience: All members, especially leaders, officers, grievance chairs & ARs
September 30-October 1 | @ the PDC in Springfield: IEA CORE Conference
- The 2011 CORE Conference will be held at the PDC with a focus on Collective Bargaining and Professional Development. Electives will include Bargaining Preparation, Writing Contract Language, Communications, Models of Bargaining, Crisis Preparation, Surveying members, Team Building, etc.
- Target Audience: All members
October 13, 2011 | 4:30-6:30 @ the IEA Office: Senate Bill 7
- The focus will be on highlighting changes related to the recent “Ed Reform” legislation, known as SB 7. We will discuss what locals should do related to the Joint RIF Committee that must convene in each District by Dec. 2011.
- Target Audience: All local leaders (other members are welcome to attend)
November 17, 2011 | 5:00-8:00 “Double Session” @ the IEA Office (includes dinner): Preparing to Bargain / Navigating the World of Insurance
- The focus of the first half will be on getting ready to bargain, with an emphasis on understanding the bargaining process, basics of the law, data collection & analysis, surveying members, communication strategies & roles.
- The second half will help introduce you to important topics and issues related to Insurance: what to bargain, what not to bargain, understanding costs and benefits, effective Insurance Committees and more.
- Target Audience: All members, especially those bargaining this year or serving on Insurance Committees
February 16, 2012 | 5:30-8:00 @ the IEA Office (includes dinner): Knowing the Numbers
- Led by the IEA Research Department, the focus will be on understanding the basics of school finance. Participants will analyze their District’s budget and expenditures and begin to develop a bargaining strategy. Participants will be asked to collect and provide some data prior to the training – more details will be provided.
- Target Audience: Local presidents & officers, bargaining committees (inc. that “numbers” person)
April 12, 2012 | 4:30-6:30 @ the IEA Office: To Be Determined
- The Spring training topic is yet to be determined. A poll will be conducted later to help determine the subject matter to be covered in the final training at the office for the 2011-12 school year.
- Target Audience: TBD
TBA – Summer 2012 | @ Illinois State University: Summer Leadership Academy
- Dates & information about the 2012 SLA will be made available as soon as possible.
- Target Audience: All members
TBA – August 2012 | @ the IEA Office: Association Representative & Leadership Training
- This annual summer training will focus on the roles and responsibilities of local leaders and Association Reps. There will be a greater focus on organizational development as much of the grievance and member representation information will be part of the first fall training.
- Target Audience: Local officers & leaders, ARs, Membership Chairs and Treasurers